Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Writer's Withdrawal


I’m going through writer’s withdrawal. It’s not pretty. It’s worse than the giving up chocolate, and that REALLY says something! Basically I want to write. It’s an urge, a compulsion, a giant pain in my butt! Of course I promised myself I’d “play house” by actually unpacking the darn house but my wanting to write is creating a fantastic show of procrastination few have seen before.

If there was a competition at the moment for who could get the least done in their life while seemingly working constantly the winner of the competition would be me. At least I’m good at something right?

The other thrill in my life at the moment is the realization that I have turned into one of those disgustingly healthy people. Sure, someone practically held a gun to my head to bring it about but it’s happened. People assure me that soon I will LOVE it but at the moment, quite frankly, life on the no alcohol, no chocolate, no caffine, no chocolate, no dairy, no chocolate, no red meat, no CHOCOLATE side of the fence is not that great. People on this side of the fence don’t get to have fun. This side of the fence IS NOT GREENER!!!

Do I sound hysterical?

I probably am.

I managed to find three of the Nora Roberts DVDs for eight buckaroos each (very proud of my find am I) and I have to say I really do like them. The intriguing thing for me is Blue Smoke because I did happen to pick who was behind it at the very beginning (I won’t tell you in case you haven’t seen it) but then they did a flashback where the heroine and the “attacker” have a pretty violent history. One you wouldn’t actually just forget and never think of again until the last second, which just goes to show you that you have to be careful with your plot. It was a nice way to tie up the story and show motive but I really think it needed to be something the would have realistically been less traumatic for the heroine.

There’s a writing competition I have my beady little eye on. I want to enter. It’s a great opportunity but I am surrounded by towers of boxes… hmm… maybe I like the boxes where they are after all. They’ll grow on me right?

I’m off to wrap my fingers up so I can’t type ;)

Have you ever had to kick a habit? Have you found yourself wanting to write or actually writing when you REALLY should be doing something else? Do you have a form of torture on standby when your writing addiction just won’t behave?

Photobucket

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

NO CHOCOLATE?????? I'm hysterical in sympathy.

Jackie Ashenden said...

Lacey, I have kids and they ALWAYS want something just when I want to write. And sadly, although boxes can be left unpacked for weeks, children can't remain unfed. Deep sigh.
Which is really my way of saying, when you've got the time, go with your passion. Especially if you've got a contest coming up.
And hey, if there isn't food and other essentials in those boxes, do you really need to unpack them?? :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Suzanne lol! We can be hysterical together!

Children do seem to have an uncanny knack for timing don't they? Truthfully I'm not so sure that even if there was food or other essentials in the boxes I would get them open lol! A lot of my clothes are in them though... but who says I can't run around naked anyway?

Jackie says write and write I shall! :-) Worst comes to worst I'll build a fort out of the boxes and live in that ;)

Jackie Ashenden said...

That's the spirit! ;-)