Friday, April 24, 2009

Rejected!

Say it loud say it proud ladies! Open the champagne and drink to my successful failure! My AMSS query letter and synopsis result came back as a standard R form and while Miss Disappointment has reared her head demanding I wallow I’m resisting. Sure a lot of work went into the MS but the rejection's based on only a QL and synopsis which is unfortunately all that is requested for the first stage of submission to Silhouette Desire in NY and they're probably not my strong point. Of course it could also mean that my writing and ideas are horrendous but I prefer Option A for obvious reasons :-) Still, I completed a MS, submitted and someone in that office read my work (and hated it, lol!) and that's a little success all by itself.

For anyone waiting to hear, it took about two months from submission for the letter to find its way back to me.

On a more positive note I am writing again but only one MS which is hard for me because there’s a competition deadline and if I get stuck or blocked I don’t really have the luxury of switching between stories. We’ll just have to see how this one goes!
Photobucket


7 comments:

Jackie Ashenden said...

Lacey, the Rs suck! So sorry to hear. I would definitely have a bit of a wallow for a day, then put it behind you and focus your thinking on the next ms. It's horrible that they only want a query letter etc 'cause I hate writing those myself. Are you writing Desire? Are you going to do the Desire pitch? Or is that the competition you're entering...

Suzanne said...

Oh Lacey, Hugs.

Felicity Roger said...

We can be rejection sisters together. And my advice, is if you need a fab query letter to get them to read your manuscript at Desire, give them one. I hate them as well, but perfecting the art could get you published. Happy writing

Lacey Devlin said...

Ahh I made "the competition" sound mysterious didn't I? It was completely unintentional (so is my life :) )! "The competition" is for Desire's editor pitch (probably could have shortened it to "the pitch" lol). I honestly found out about it by a stroke of luck. I have a hard time finding anything I don't already know about on the eharlequin website. I don't know why, I think I've developed a cyber block lol!

Ahh a Rejection Sisters club, there would be lots of chocolate... I'm so thrilled that everyone else hates the good ol' query letter and synopsis too. I'm even less impressed with them at the moment :)

Joanne Cleary said...

Aw Lacey, I am so sorry to hear about your r but you have got a great attitude. I am glad I will be able to send a query, synopsis and 3 chapters when I finally get the courage to submit. I think not being able to send some chapters stinks!

Best of luck with your pitch :-)

Becca J. Heath said...

Hi Lacey!

Go for that pitch. The experience of the Special Edition one was fab. Even though i had to chat online to the ed at 3:30am my time... it was surreal to 'talk' to NY in the middle of the night.

Lorraine said...

Really sorry to hear about the R Lacey. I'd hate to be judged just on a synopsis.

I'm sending some cyber chocolate your way.