Monday, March 9, 2009

Rabbitting On

Do you ever find yourself wishing for simpler times?

The fridge can tell knock knock jokes, your oven can clean itself, your air conditioner can filter out bird flu and you have to keep one eye open and on your ipod because its one microchip advance away from coming to life and murdering you in your sleep…

We are in the age of technology and let’s face it we’re kind of spoilt. Well... I am.

I can do all my research at home if it takes my fancy thanks to the internet. I can type faster than I can write so the time it takes to do mundane chores is halved but despite all this and the fact that I do get a thrill at having someone turn green with envy over my teeny tiny laptop, I am a reluctant technology convert.

I am the owner of one desktop computer, two laptops, one mobile and a temperamental ipod (it decides what it downloads…most of the time that’s nothing…) and *gasp* there’s not a universal remote in sight. I have recently realized that this puts me in the minority. I don't have a Playstation or Wii and my vacuum doesn’t have a mind of its own. In short: I have a strangely small amount of technology with me in my home and confessing that I don’t own at least some sort of game station earns me bewildered glances, words like “how”, “why” and “quick bob get the children in the minivan because the world is clearly coming to an end” fly from their mouths.

Don’t get me wrong I love my modern conveniences and when I’m rich and taking over the world *cough cough* I’ll probably buy everyone in the world a talking fridge BUT every now and then…I miss the typewriter.

Ahh the humble typewriter.

A cheap, virus-free zone.

You can’t hack a typewriter.

And that’s what it all comes down to. In an age where even mobile phones can get their pants in a twist with a virus, the typewriter remains an untouched thing of beauty that can be used as both a weapon (how’s your upper body launching strength?) and a piece of gym equipment (for those fingers).

So I while I rejoice in electricity I have a firm rule that when my handbag weights 10kg with electronics I WILL buy myself a bag on wheels…


Do you miss any of your older appliances? Is there a new gadget you can’t live without? Do you think the world’s going to hell in a hand basket?


Photobucket

No comments: