Monday, March 16, 2009

The Great Depression

Am I talking about economics?

No.

Not unless you pay me… and maybe not even then.

I am talking about the fact that my Zokutou word meters are not working *gasp* because the site is indefinitely down. I love these little things they’re my favorites on the web and it looks like I may have to replace them.

For anyone else suffering a similar fate here are your choices so far (I’m sure there are more out there but these I know about from BZ – Before Zokutou):


Well there was Zokutou which I’m putting as number one in the hopes that it does eventually come back to us and although it won’t work now, if the site reloads an example with appear below:


Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
11,758 / 50,000
(23.5%) Bestseller


NaNoWirMo: Perhaps my second favorite?




11758 / 50000 words. 24% done!



Writertopia which has two progress meters one as a bar and one pictorial which also has in built mood indicator including: very frustrated, ready to shoot computer (I think we’ve all been there), sleeping, watching TV, logical & calm, working at novel, and joyful.


Progress Meter:





Picometer (mood: sleeping):





Leigh's Word Meter: A five step DIY word meter that is simple to use.
11758/ 50000


Or throw your hands in the air, scream with frustration and then make your own (go the good ol’ estimate):
( ===#================ )
11,758 / 50,000 : 23.5%



If you find something else please let me know and I'll add it to the list. Hope this helps.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

I'm with ya... I'm depressed too! Bring back the wordmetre!!!

Felicity Roger said...

Thanks Lacey, now all I to do is work out to get it on my blog.

Lacey Devlin said...

Ahh yes getting them to cooperate with where you want them is hard Felicity.

But here's some instructions for Blogger:

- Go to 'Customize' tab
- Go to 'Page Elements' tab
- Click on 'Add Gadget'
- Select 'Html/Javascript'
- When you go to the website of your wordmetre of choice and generate the wordmeter it will give you a code or directions on how to customise a web address. This is what you copy and paste into the 'Html/Javascript' gadget's content area. Entering text in the title will give the gadget a name which you may or may not want depending on whether or not the title ect of your WIP is contained in the script of your wordmetre.
- Click 'Save' and there you have it!

Let me know if there are any probs :)

Suzanne said...

This is great. I've been toying with the idea of a wordmeter for my planned re-write and I didn't know where to start. Now I do. Thank you.

:-)