Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wendy S. Marcus: The End


I'm thrilled to have a guest author today.  Please welcome, the talented, Wendy S. Marcus!


Hi Lacey! Thank you for hosting me on the 31st and final stop on my blog tour to promote my debut Harlequin Mills and Boon Medical Romance, When One Night Isn’t Enough.

Today I’ve chosen to write about ‘The End’ or more specifically, getting to ‘The End.’

The anticipation of starting to write a new book, a new series of books, or even a thirty-one stop blog tour is an exciting time chock-full of possibilities. You have an unending supply of wonderful ideas! Boundless energy! It’s going to be great!

Then comes the tough part. Execution. Meeting the commitments you’ve made and achieving the goals you’ve set for yourself without letting exhaustion and self-doubt take over. Actually writing a book from start to finish. Then writing the second and third books in the series. Planning a blog tour to promote your first book while you’re writing your second, and creating thirty-one unique blog posts and visiting each blog on your hectic schedule while you’re writing your third.

If last year at this time someone would have told me, “In one year you’ll sell your first book to Mills and Boon (and get a contract for four more), complete and have accepted for publication a three-book series, and complete a thirty-one stop blog tour to promote yourself and the Medical Romance line, (among dozens of other writerly things) I wouldn’t have believed them.

Yet here I am, one year later, in this fourth week of August, writing ‘The End’ on my third book, my first series, and my first blog tour.

And I’m here to tell you, next year or the year after, this can be you! If…

1) You are committed to writing and write for a set amount of time. Every. Single. Day.
2) You work hard and ignore anyone who tells you you can’t do it – including that niggling voice in your head.
3) You read articles and attend workshops to learn and improve your craft.
4) You set goals for yourself and don’t stop working until you achieve them.
5) You push through plot problems and uncooperative characters that try to stall your progress.
6) You plow forward on your manuscript despite every obstacle life throws at you.
7) You find critique partners who will give their honest opinion of your work.
8) You take every opportunity available to get your manuscript in front of agents and editors.
9) You make your own luck by putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
10) You are flexible in which publishers you target.
11) You are willing to revise your manuscript…and possibly transform it into something you hadn’t originally considered.
12) You are determined to do whatever you have to do to get published.


My suggestions:

1) Set small, reasonable and achievable short-term goals to start.

a. Daily: Write a certain number of words or blog posts per day. After you meet that goal, spend a pre-determined amount of time visiting a certain number of agent/editor/publisher blogs and websites to learn from their suggestions and find out about any upcoming submission opportunities. And last, after you’ve done everything else, spend some time on social networking to interact with your peers and future fans.

b. Weekly: Send a certain number of pages to your critique partner each week. Visit and actively participate in writers’ groups/loops for ongoing support and encouragement. Share your goals with others or post them somewhere people can see them so you’re more likely to hold yourself accountable.

c. Monthly: Enter a certain number of writing contests per month. Send out a certain number of submissions per month – each individualized and unique.

2) Cut yourself some slack. If you don’t meet a goal, don’t give up. Double up the next day/week. (Anyone who follows my posts knows I am easily distracted and a notorious procrastinator. If I can meet my goals, you can, too!)

3) Take one day, one goal, one project, one task at a time. Try making lists. Crossing items off a list gives me a wonderful sense of accomplishment!

4) Do. Not. Ever. Give. Up. Keep working, keep improving and keep doing all of the above until you have achieved your ultimate goal – getting published.

I hope you’ll take a few minutes to check out the end result of all my hard work by reading an excerpt from my debut Harlequin Medical Romance, When One Night Isn’t Enough, at: http://wendysmarcus.com/books/. Or by visiting my website to learn more about me and the other books I have coming soon. If you’d like to purchase a copy of When One Night Isn’t Enough, they are available in stores in the UK and Aus/NZ. Links for online purchase are available on my website Books page.

If you’re a writer, I hope you’ll set a goal to finish and polish up a first chapter of one of your stories for entry in Mills and Boon’s New Voices competition, coming in September. You can find more information here.

Now that I’ve achieved my goal of publication, my new goals are:
1) To purchase a book I wrote in a store in the U.S.
2) To make a bestseller list somewhere.

So come September it is back to work for me!

But before you go, please share some of the goals you’ve set for yourself for today, this week, this month, and for 2011 as a whole. One lucky commenter will win a copy of the UK 2in1 edition of my book, which includes a complete novel by author Janice Lynn.

And, when you comment, please be sure to congratulate Ju Dimello, the winner of the $50.00 (U.S. currency) Amazon gift card for visiting me at the most stops on my blog tour. Ju visited me at 25 stops! Thank you for your dedication to my blog tour, Ju! It has been great getting to know you, and everyone else who has visited me so many times. I hope you all will continue to visit me at my personal blog: http://wendysmarcus.com/blog/

And/Or:
Visit me on Facebook
Visit me on Twitter
Visit me on Goodreads


Wendy S. Marcus lives in the beautiful Hudson Valley region of New York with her husband, two of their three children, and a much loved Bichon Frise named Buddy. A nurse by trade, Wendy has her master’s degree in health care administration. After years of working in the medical profession, Wendy has taken a radical turn to writing hot contemporary romance with strong heroes, feisty heroines, and lots of laughs. When she’s not writing, she enjoys spending time with her family and blogging/e-mailing/tweeting with her online friends. To learn more about Wendy visit her website, http://www.WendySMarcus.com.


Thanks so much for joining me today, Wendy!

Happy writing!
Photobucket

28 comments:

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Lacey!
The post looks fab! Thanks so much for having me to your blog. I'm thrilled to celebrate my last stop with friends!

Nas Dean said...

Congratulations to Ju! Four long months of following Wendy around paid off!

But do tell, Ju, did you learn something new on every blog like I did? And did you make new friends, became followers of new blogs?

Though it was sort of a whirlwind tour but so enjoyable, Wendy! Because we learnt so much from you, thanks. And then the giveaways....so many people won WHEN ONE NIGHT ISN'T ENOUGH with another medical romance in it.

I've met so many people who've never heard of a Medical Romance and you introduced it to them.

Congratulations on the tour, on completing your third book and here's hoping for many more books from you!

Thanks Lacey for hosting Wendy on her last stop!

Romy said...

Wow, Wendy - if you've written 30+ blog posts like this one, that's practically another novel on its own!

Thank you so much for some really fantastic advice. Now I'm hooked, and I'm going to track back through all your other blog tour stops to pick up every crumb.

Congratulations on the 4-book deal, and congrats too to Ju.

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Nas! (Who visited me at every stop!!!) I didn't include you in the contest because we worked together on scheduling/coordinating my blog tour. But I so appreciate you visiting me at every stop and helping me/advising me along the way. Your suggestions were invaluable! I couldn't have done it without you!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Romy!
The links to all my blog stops are on the News page of my website. I made sure to title each one so it's easier to choose which ones you'd like to read. I worked hard on them and appreciate you taking a look!
Oh, and to clarify, my first contract with Mills and Boon was for 2 books, the second was for three books. I think this is their standard.
Thanks for stopping by!

jenniferprobst said...

HI Wendy! A big congratulations for a successful blog tour - I learned a lot from you and found some great blogs to follow! This entry was wonderful and full of advice that both established and newbie writers will always refer back to. Thanks!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Jen!
I'm glad you found my blog post(s) helpful. I worked hard on them.

Thanks for visiting me at so many of my stops and for all your support!

It is much appreciated!

Maya said...

First off, huge congrats on achieving your goal of publication! It's a dream we all want to achieve one day. My personal goals? To write as much as I can, when I can. But I must confess, I thrive better under deadline. That said I woke up at 3.30 this morning and wrote 1.5k words before sunrise. Every little helps, eh?

Congrats Ju!

Suzanne Jones said...

Oh, well done, Ju - that's impressive.

Great post, Lacey and Wendy.

What a terrific year you've had, Wendy. And thank you for sharing all that advice.

XX

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Maya!
I thrive under deadline, too! Can't seem to get much done without them! And when I'm really into a story, I've been known to hop out of bed in the wee ours of the morning to work on my manuscript, too! I get some of my best ideas down then!

Good luck with your writing! And thanks for stopping by!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Suzanne!
Thank you for hosting me on my blog tour. I remember your stop was particularly fun!

It has been a busy year...and I am happy to be taking the rest of August off to recharge my batteries!

Thanks for stopping by!

Sri Pammi said...

Huge congrats, Wendy!!!

And love your suggestions!!

Catherine Coles said...

Yay, Ju, you fabulous blog commenter!! Congratulations on your prize :-]

Wonderful blog, Wendy, I love your dedication. It's wonderful to watch your dreams come true.

And also, people reading Lacey's blog, if you haven't already go buy Wendy's book because it really is fab. If you've never tried a medical before, this is the title to get you hooked. It's a fabulously hot, emotional read. If you love Amy Andrews and Natalie Anderson--this is the book and author for you.

Finally congratulations, Wendy, on your blog tour. I'm wondering if you've managed to sleep at all this last month?!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Sri!
Thank you! And thanks for stopping by!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Catherine!
Thank you for your kind words and being such a huge supporter of mine! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book - and are so vocal about it!!!

Yes, I did sleep. Pretty much sleep and work on the computer is all I've done for the past few months. Now it's time to get back out there and enjoy some of the beautiful weather we're finally having here in New York! right now I'm reading Man Law by my friend Adrienne Giordano. Wow! It's a fabulous read! I highly recommend it!

Ju Dimello said...

OMG, OMG!!!! Pinches self :-D :Happy dancing and a maniac grin: Thanks so much, Wendy!

It was great knowing you, Wendy! I really enjoyed the thought you put into each blog post at every stop, and I really had fun collecting tidbits of information + valuable tips along the way !

For eg, these writing tips you have given us today - I am going to do a copy-paste , maybe a printout and keep it near my computer for inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

And Nas, yes, I did enjoy making new friends and following new blogs! Especially since everyone is a part of the writing community and it feels great to be connected! Thanks you, Nas, for being such a great tour host! You have done a fab job !

Hi, Lacey :) I have of course, seen you in Jax's blog etc, but haven't virtually "met" you yet! Nice to know you :)

Ju Dimello said...

Oh, and thanks, Romy, Maya, Suzanne, Catherine for your lovely wishes :)

Still shell shocked :) while mentally plotting what to buy in Amazon ;) Maybe my first Kindle....

joanne pibworth said...

What an interesting post, will hop over to your blog to stalk the other posts too.
Huge Congrats on your debut Wendy, it sounds like a great read. What a big year it's been for you!
In answer to your question about my personal goals, its's to revise the ms i've just completed and then be brave enough to send it out.
Lots of luck with the book!
Jo
x

Caroline said...

Massive congratulations Wendy - and thanks for the wise words. I like the idea of visiting a few agents/publishers blogs each day. Caroline x

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Ju!!!
Congratulations! Thank you for visiting me at so many stops on my blog tour! I hope you'll continue to visit me at my personal blog! I look forward to chatting with you! I have your e-mail address so I'll be in touch about your prize!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Jo!
Thank you for checking out my blog tour posts. I hope you find them helpful!

Good luck with revising your manuscript. One of my favorite quotes is: A book is written in revision. And I firmly believe that!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Caroline!
Agents, editors, and publishers run random contests so it's good to keep up with their sites so you don't miss out on any opportunities. Some agents share tips on submitting and what makes for an immediate rejection. These things are good to know. Some publishers put out calls for submissions for anthologies or lines that are low on submissions. Great opportunity to get your work looked at with a quick turnaround!

Good luck with your writing and submitting! Thanks for stopping by!

Sally Clements said...

Hi Wendy. Congratulations on all your success, you've certainly earned it! I'm on final edits of my new book - which will be 5 out since last July, and I'm flagging, so this was a very timely post!
So - goals.
Finish perfect edits.
Polish the full of my current wip - in hopes that M&B who have the partial will be dying to see it...
Promote everything, without becoming a complete bore to my blog friends...
Try to get some 'life' in - away from writing.
Tricky? Yes. But I'm determined to do it!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Sally!
WOW! Five out since last July! Go you! That's terrific! Fingers crossed M&B loves your submission! Good luck with revisions! And yes, definitely make time for life! Sometimes I feel as if it's passing me by! I can't believe summer is almost over here in the U.S.!

Thanks for stopping by!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Thank you to everyone who stopped by, especially those who took the time to comment!

And the winner of my book is....

Joanne Pibworth!

Congratulations, Joanne! Please visit my website, http://WendySMarcus.com, go to my Contact page and e-mail me your mailing address.

Thanks again for having me, Lacey! And good luck to everyone who enters the New Voices competition!

Kiru Taye said...

Really great advice, Wendy. Thank you for sharing it.

Thank you to Lacey for hosting.

joanne pibworth said...

wow! Thank you Wendy, will pop over and visit you! xx

Regina Richards said...

Wow,Wendy! Thanks for this post. I'm going to print it and post it on the wall by my desk.

Congrats on a year of success! You earned and deserve every bit of it and more!