Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What A Week!



Do you know those weeks where everything just goes smoothly? Nothing goes wrong? Rose petals fall from the sky? You float over puddles? You accidentally win the lottery?

I’m not having one of those weeks.

From a slight ding in my car to the fact that the colon key on my keyboard works only when it wants to I’ve already had enough. If you’re interested, the printer is also on strike and doesn’t recognize ink cartridges and the DVD burner doesn’t burn which means ANOTHER trip back to the computer doctor and that’s just the computer. There’s also been several other incidences including bleeding and it’s only Tuesday.

I want a do over (imagine a smiley face here, since colon key is currently in tantrum mode).

It's not all bad though because I'm also in the final week of Shirley Jump's Revisions Can Be Fun workshop and I can honestly say that I can see a difference in my writing. This course has changed the way I think as I write and THAT is what is making all the difference. Shirley uses examples of her own work and others to illustrate techniques, as well as critiquing homework assignments so you know that you haven’t missed the point completely. I’m really thrilled with the results and there’s still one week to go!

So, what is everyone else working on?

Photobucket

19 comments:

Jackie Ashenden said...

Hugs on the rotten week, Lacey. I know how that goes. But at least the writing isn't going badly! :-)
I am working on my chess player and trying to make my heroine sympathetic and not just a ditzy, selfish drifter. Wah!

Talli Roland said...

Oh no... hope your week gets better! Mine's going sloooowly. Starting work on a new novel and just trying to get through the opening chapters!

Joanne Coles said...

Oh no :-( Hope the rest of the week goes better for you, Lacey.

I totally agree with you, Shirley Jump's course is fab although I admit I've got a little behind.

Lacey Devlin said...

Jackie - Thanks! At least the writing will keep me sane..saneish...lol! Lots of luck whipping your characters in to shape. I know they're not behaving at the moment but they do sound fantastic!

Lacey Devlin said...

Talli - I hope so too! Lots of luck with your latest WIP!

Lacey Devlin said...

Joanne - Thanks! (No smiley face still. Will have to get the screw driver out...)

I've been just managing to keep up with the course but there is a lot of info to get through and sometimes it's touch and go lol!

Nas Dean said...

Rootten week comes but it also goes away. Don't stress. And what a wonderful class you're attending.

Natalie Anderson is visiting over at mine...that's what I'm doing!

Lacey Devlin said...

That's great Nas :) I'm a huge fan of Natalie's books!

Sally Clements said...

Aw Lacey, sorry you're having such a rotten week. Would I cheer you up if I put on my 'editing minx' hat and mentioned Jo C has come up with another one of those sentences that I love? It's the last one in her commment...
Shirley Jump's course is great, isn't it? I did it last time around.

Joanne Coles said...

LOL, Sally, you always spot my terribly bad double entendre sentences!!

*sigh* if only it were little ...

Lacey Devlin said...

LOL :) Love it!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Aww...sorry. Hope you get a do-over with this week. :)
Shirley's workshop sounds awesome. Wish I had taken it.

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks Jennifer :) So far so good! I think Shirley does these workshops every year so maybe next year is your year :)

Rachael Harrie said...

Hey Lacey *waves* lovely to meet you (and a fellow Aussie, yay)! I know what you mean about the colon key, would you believe my "e" key went the other week, and now my caps lock is on the blink too :(

I hope your week gets better soon.

Hugs,

Rach

Abbi/Barbara said...

Hey, Lacey,

If you want I can do a Fairly Odd Parents "REDO!" for you. That's what you need for your week.

Yeah, I got behind on Shirley's class, but I've been reading everything and it's wonderful information. Very useful as well.


Abbi :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Rachael - Thanks for stopping by :-) I actually unscrewed the back of my keyboard and used a can of compressed air on it. It seems to have done the trick. I did get distracted putting it back together though which killed the numbers for a while. Note to self: must put screws back in the same place :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Abbi - LOL! Yes! That is what I need!

I loved Shirley's class so much I'm doing her next one too :-)

Suzanne Jones said...

Hugs for the bad things, Lacey.

But a big yay for the course - sounds fab.

XX

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks Suzanne!

It really was a great course :-)