Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lacey Devlin and the Sneaky Apostrophe



I’m a touch typer. This is, quite possibly, my only talent. However, it does lend itself to strange bursts of dyslexia where I type words backwards without realizing (go me!) and more recently, the addition of random apostrophes in words that should be plural. My plurals have ownership issues.

It’s not pretty.

I’m hoping there’s a pill for this. There is a pill right?

You would assume I’d pick up on it when I read the sentence through again but that’s not happening. So I’ve drawn the only conclusion I possibly can. The editing part of my brain has taken a holiday. If you see it could you please send it back?

On the romance front, Anne Gracie, Kelly Hunter, Barbara Hannay and Helene Young will conduct a one day seminar in North Queensland in May!!

Topics to be covered include:
- Not Another Sex Scene.. (Or how to write really great sex scenes that deepen character, plot and conflict).
- The vital importance of a good, strong premise World-building (no matter which sub-genre) and Subtext.
- Ways to ensure a strong and layered conflict
- Emotional punch and tension on every page
- Panel discussions … and much more …

So, go on, get your knickers in a twist and click here for more information.

Photobucket

14 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

Sadly North Queensland is a bit far for me :0( It looks like it's going to be fab.

Hehe re the touch typing. I'm so old we were taught touch typing on actual typewriters. They got the woodworkers to make covers for our keyboards so we couldn't see they keys and we had to wear badges that proclaimed to the world 'I can touch type'. V embarrassing. Ah, those were the days.

XX

Talli Roland said...

Oh, I'm the worst when it comes to typing! I also have a terrible habit of typing completely random words!

Nas Dean said...

Oh, I wish I could attend that seminar. So much to learn!

Lacey Devlin said...

Nas - Go on Nas. Make the trip. You know you want too :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Talli - Perhaps that's something to look forward too? lol!

Lacey Devlin said...

Suzanne - LOL! I can just see myself conveniently losing that badge!

Leah said...

I touch type too - so thrilled my mum made me do a typewriting unit in highschool :)

But I can completely understand the apostrophe thing. I wrote parents' as parent's about ten times in my manuscript, even though I know perfectly well which version is correct :)

So jealous you get to go to that workshop!

Lacey Devlin said...

Leah - So it's not just me! A touch typing program with a happy ghost was the only thing on our computer that didn't involve blowing things up so that's how I learnt. Boy does it make life easier :)

I hope all is going well with your writing. I can't wait to see your first cover!

Wendy S Marcus said...

Your plurals have ownership issues? Too funny!!! I'm a touch typer, too. One of the best things I ever did was take a typing class in high school. I'm pretty good. Fast. Most of my mistakes are stupidity. Like mixing up virle and viral. That's an issue!

LindseyHughes said...

Hyperventilating at thought of missing that workshop - how about we guardian angel watch those apostrophes for you and you take copies notes at the w/s and post them here. (Please)

Lacey Devlin said...

Wendy - LOL! Yes viral isn't nearly as sexy is it? Touch typing definitely makes life easier!

Lacey Devlin said...

Lindsey - It does sound like a good workshop doesn't it? I'm really looking forward to it and I will be taking notes :-)

Sally Clements said...

that sounds like a great workshop, Lacey! Suz's (phew, got that apostrophe!) reminicences remind me of when I learned to touch type we had typewriters with the keys covered up with stickers so you couldn't see the keys. And tippex, anyone remember tippex?

Lacey Devlin said...

Sally - Stickers ? I bet you don't miss those! Did you get a badge too? It seems like a lot of pressure to me :)