Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Rule of Six


Want to know what it is? Yeah? Well, me too. I'm behind on my blogging and I should have shared this earlier but I've signed up for Shirley Jump’s Rule of Six online course and it launched today!  It's not too late to join though and it's just $25.  Here's the rest of the information from the Colorado Romance Writers website:


Title: Using the Rule of Six To Strengthen Everything From Plot to Titles
Instructor: Shirley Jump
Date: February 28 - March 25, 2011
Classroom: Foothills

DESCRIPTION: Capitalize on this technique marketing gurus have used for years to find the "thought not thought of yet" and avoid duplicating a plot line, character quirk or other idea already out there (that you may have seen subconsciously). Then learn how to use this technique to take your writing deeper and draw out more emotion, more conflict...more of everything! It's truly astounding when you see it in action. With this interactive class, New York Times bestselling author Shirley Jump will show you how to use "Shirley's Rule of Six" for everything from plot to word choice. The result? More powerful writing that has that unique touch editors today are looking to buy.

BIO: New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Shirley Jump spends her days writing women's fiction and romantic comedies (Vegas Pregnancy Surprise, July 2010) to feed her shoe addiction and avoid cleaning the toilets. As AJ Whitten, she also writes horror young adult novels for Houghton Mifflin's Graphia imprint with her daughter (The Well, September 2009). She cleverly finds writing time by feeding her kids junk food, allowing them to dress in the clothes they find on the floor and encouraging the dogs to double as vacuum cleaners. Visit her website or read recipes and life adventures at her blog.


A direct link to Shirley's class page isn't available so to join click here and then on the workshop tab at the top.  You'll find the title (and link) of Shirley's class listed there which is where you can purchase your spot.
Photobucket

23 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

Enjoy the course Lacey! Sounds fab and I considered signing up but I'm trying to make myself actually write for a bit - lol!
Can't wait to hear all about it :)

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks Rach! It would have been fun to have you there too but I know how it is :-) Happy writing!!

Jo Dixon said...

I love a good online course !! This sounds really interesting, and a little bit different... and hey, since I've got like about 17.5 mins free in every day, I've decided to sign up! Woo-hoo, I'm with you Lacey :)

Teresa Ashby said...

For your very pretty and informative blog, Lacey, here is a Stylish Blogger Award. Details at http://teresaashby.blogspot.com/ I hope you will share seven things about yourself on your blog and pass the baton to 15 more bloggers, but no worries if you’d rather not.

Talli Roland said...

Sounds interesting! Hope you enjoy the course.

Nas Dean said...

Hey you so lucky. I live so far otherwise I would have taken this courses with yu. I took an online course with Angela James Self Editing for Published and Unpublished Authors. It was really good.

Jackie Ashenden said...

Great going re the course, Lacey. I think though that if I have any more craft crammed into my head, its going to explode. And that's not good. ;-)

Kerrin said...

Hey Lacey. Haven't pop round in a while, sorry!
What a great course! If i wasn't already doing online study for Early Childhood, it sounds like something i'd love to do!
Maybe once i have the hang of online study, i could do both!
take care :)

Lacey Devlin said...

Jo - Woo hoo! I'm thrilled that you're going to be spending those17.5 mins with me Jo! I'll see you there! :)

Lacey Devlin said...

Teresa - Thanks so much! I'll make it my next blog :)


Talli - Thanks!

Lacey Devlin said...

Jackie - LOL! We can't have that! I do know the feeling though but I couldn't help myself :)

Lacey Devlin said...

Kerrin - Your Early Childhood studies are probably more than enough at the moment! You don't want to burn out and not be able to write at all :) Happy studying!

Joanne Coles said...

I'm still trying to digest all the stuff from the last SJ class we took, Lacey! She's a fab teacher, will be interested to hear your thoughts on this class :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Jo - I'm surprised I managed to keep up lol! I will happily share my thoughts until you're sick of them :-)

Jude said...

Hope your enjoying your course. It looks interesting. x

Suzanne Jones said...

Thanks for the info, Lacey. Sounds fab. Let us know how you get on.

XX

Lacey Devlin said...

Jude - Thanks! So far so good with the course. It's just as great as the last one :-)

Suzanne - There's a lot more involved in this one. It'll keep me on my toes :-)

Sally Clements said...

ooh that does sound good, Lacey! Did a course with Shirley before and she's fab... have promised not to do any more courses until I've done some writing tho..:(

Lacey Devlin said...

LOL They can be addictive :-)

Wendy S Marcus said...

So how's the course? Everything you thought it'd be? I've never taken a formal online course.

Caryn Caldwell said...

That sounds fantastic! I used to read Shirley Jump's blog long ago; I'll have to go back and take a look now that I'm back to writing and reading blogs. Have fun at your class!

Lacey Devlin said...

Hi Wendy! Wow not one online course? Colour me jealous lol!

I just finished one course with Shirley and went straight into this one. There's a lot more work involved and it's harder but I can see the results in my writing. Love it when you can see results!

Lacey Devlin said...

Hi Caryn! Thanks for stopping by :-) Welcome back to blogland and happy writing!