Saturday, October 23, 2010

NaNoWriMo: Start Your Engines


It’s that time of year! However, if you’re like me, you’re probably still in denial that it’s even November.

For anyone who doesn’t know NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and it’s basically when the entire writing community collectively loses their minds and decides to write 50,000 words by the end of November. That’s 50K in 30 days. It’s not as scary as it sounds.

For one fabulous month dishes are left unwashed, floors are unswept and husbands and wives are left to fend for themselves while writing reigns. It’s a heck of a lot of fun!

If you want to know more or if you want to sign up at the official site, click here.  Other sites, including Harlequin also do their own NaNoWriMo but as far as I know the Harlequin link isn’t up yet.

Now I’m not sure whether or not I’ll be joining in this year because I’d only be able to start halfway through the month, which would make it NaNoWriFo (National Novel Writing Fortnight).

That seems a little nutty to attempt…

Call me nutty with extra nuts on top because I’m still considering it. Although, this same situation happened last year and that didn’t work out so well...

But this post isn’t about me. It’s about YOU. I want to know who’s participating this year! So, if you do decide to participate you can get the official blog badges for 2010 here.

You’ve got a little over a week to decide whether or not you need to stock up on Red Bull and make sure you let me know so I can wave my pom poms in your direction!

Perhaps I'll replace our New Voices Wall of Fame with our NaNoers?


 

Photobucket

20 comments:

Diane said...

You know already that I'm a NaNoWriMo this year. Weren't you late last year too?

Rachael Johns said...

I soooooooooooooo want to but am gonna give is a pass this year!

Sally Clements said...

I'm signed up, Lacey. And ready to go. If anyone wants to friend me, I'm using my regular nanowrimo alias, Darcy Raven!
Have no idea what I'm going to work on, but that's in the Nano spirit - n'est pas?

Julia Broadbooks said...

I am doing it for the first time this year. I'm a bit worried about the Thanksgiving holiday since I have family coming to stay with me. I'll just need to rack up an impressive word count the first few weeks.

abbi said...

Hey, Lacey,

I'm crazy. I'm doing NaNoWriMo. You should join us even if it's for NaNoWriFo. Love that name BTW.

Abbi :-)

Wendy S Marcus said...

Hi Lacey!
NaNoWriFo.....very clever. I've never done NaNoWriMo or Fo. Feels like too much pressure. I'd like to think I prefer to focus on quality of my writing rather than quantity.....or maybe I'm just not up to the task.

Lacey Devlin said...

Diane - Yes I was! Wow great memory! This is the last year that half of November is eaten by exams.

Rachael - I think we'll be in the same boat.

Sally - Congrats! That is in the spirit of Nano lol. Perhaps start something new?

Lacey Devlin said...

Julia - Congrats Julia! The trick is to try and get that word count up as fast as possible in the beginning if you know that life's going to get crazy (and it always does). You can do it!

Abbi - Yay! I'm so glad you're entering. Don't tempt me ;) I really want to give it a shot. But even if I can't I have every intention of living vicariously through you!

Wendy - You do tend to end up with a MS in desperate need of some TLC ;) I think you're more than up to the task though but there is pressure involved because life's always busy :) I think the published M&B authors who have taken part in the past end up with an MS that's far more impressive than my own and it's always fun to see them published later. I'm sure your quality would be just as high :)

Judy Jarvie said...

Yey Lacey. NaNoWriFo sounds good (maybe a novella?)

Good luck to all. I'm not brave enough this year though I did it once and loved it! Definitely good trick to write up a storm days you can manage it. Then you can feel smug when you can't! jx

Suzanne Jones said...

It didn't work out so well last year for me either, Lacey. I'm still undecided about this year - but I'm ready to cheer you on, regardless.

XX
PS Imaginatively, I'm WelshWitch

Kerrin said...

i'm not going to do it. Maybe next year.
I'm focused on finishing Billie and Cooper and getting that synop written! Hopefully that will be by the end of November!

Lacey Devlin said...

Judy - I hadn't thought of a novella. That would be a little more realistic if I'm going to write it in two weeks :).

Suzanne - I love the name WelshWitch. I blame 2009 for our failure to finish. Not our fault at all. You could do NaNoWriFo with me!

Kerrin - You could count finishing Billie and Cooper's story as your NaNo. Harlequin lets you pick your own word counts ;). Good luck with that synopsis. I'm looking forward to hearing when you submit!

Nicole said...

I love NaNo, and have been doing it since 2002! (Though I haven't actually finished it since 2003). I can never resist, and even though I was sure this year I wouldn't sign up or participate, the excitement got me and I did just that (NThelm). Don't know if it's feasible for me to actually finish this year, but it's always fun to give it a try. I always say, the worst thing that can happen is you get a little something written.

Jackie Ashenden said...

Well, I always do Nano but not signing up on eHarl this year. This year the Sisters are doing it for themselves! ;-) Now, just have to decide which particular idea to Nano...

Lacey Devlin said...

Wow Nicole! Eight years of NaNoing is quite an achievement whether you finish them or not.

"The worst thing that can happen is you get a little something written" - so true :)

Loads of luck for this year! I'll be following your word updates.

Lacey Devlin said...

Jackie - That sounds fun all the Sisters NaNoing together :) I'm looking forward to your updates!

Talli Roland said...

I'm not doing it, because I have other stuff that needs doing, but I wish everyone good luck! :)

Lacey Devlin said...

Good luck with everything Talli!

Kerrin said...

i checked out the eHarl NaNo and i'm going to do the build your own version. - 15,000 in 4 weeks! To me that is scary, it's taken me nearly 7 months to do 35,000! (Not a fast writer, but this may prove to push me!)

Lacey Devlin said...

The eHarl NaNo is great isn't it? There's so much support in the forums too and you'll be amazed at how much that helps to spur you on. Everyone writes at a different pace :)