Monday, March 29, 2010

What To Do With A Weak Heroine


Rewrite her.

Yes, I see a lot of rewriting in my immediate future. I think I may finally be on top of my plot issues (cue hysterical laughter) but what I have now uncovered is that my heroine is coming across as weak. Poor thing.

We're trying to steer clear of martyrdom here (see, proof that I can read my rejection letters and learn... or at least pretend to).

I believe the problem is that I had my heroine in love with the hero from the get go and now she's sucking the passion out of my story with her sad little thoughts so I'm going to have to rewrite what I haven't deleted to give her a bit more fire.

So, after my ankle surgery, since I am currently pretending to cleaned and washed in preparation for voluntarily disabling myself for a few days, I will be tell my heroine to grow a backbone. I suspect this will be more in the form of starting from scratch rather than an actual rewritem but a girl can hope.

How are everyone else's characters going?

It's only fair if they're giving you a hard time too...
Photobucket

14 comments:

Jackie Ashenden said...

Yep, if you're changing a character rewriting is the key. If she has more backbone, she'll make different choices and therefore your story may be different.

Mine are okay since I've finished my last wip. And the new one is a complete rewrite of an old story and I know the characters pretty well. Still there's always time for them to make pigs of themselves. ;-)

Lacey Devlin said...

So jealous that you've finished another WIP Jackie! :)

Kerrin said...

Yes i think a rewrite is the way to go, you have the right attitude!
Mine are going great. After the slow pace of the first chapter finally they are moving, just need to get the time in, with the school holidays next week, i'll be stealing time ;)

Julie Cohen said...

Oh my goodness you're about to have surgery? I'd better get that book you won to you, quick!

Good luck and give that heroine some guts!

Kate Hardy said...

Hugs on the rewrites - and the ankle!

Lacey Devlin said...

That's great news Kerrin :) I'm jealous. School holidays always makes writing interesting. Good luck!

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks Kate! Thanks Julie :) It's always so great to have you stop by!

Joanne Coles said...

Oh no on the surgery :-( Hope it corrects what it should!!

As for your heroine, I've just read another blog post and the author was saying how her heroine came across as wishy washy. Maybe we're all having so much fun with our heroes we're fogetting our heroines need to stand up for themselves a bit more.

Mine cries a couple of times in the first few chapters. Not sure if my CPs may say she's a bit wet and needs toughening up.

Suzanne Jones said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery - and for a heroine who learns to speak up for herself.

XX

Sally Clements said...

Hey Lacey good attitude to the R - you're right, just got to knuckle down and rewrite. Tough but true. I'm doing the same. Best of luck with it, I'm sure having identified where its weak you'll make it awesome!
(ooh, my word verification word is fangler, should I write a vampire romance next?)

Kaily Hart said...

I've outlined a novella where the heroine has had the hots for the hero for over a year. Certainly a challenge to ensure it doesn't completely overcome her. A lot of opportunity for angst though! Good luck with the rewrite and the ankle!

Teresa Ashby said...

Good luck with the rewrites and hope your ankle is better soon.

There is a Beautiful Bloggers award for you over at my blog.

Kerrin said...

hi Lacey, have nominated you for an award on my blog and also some fun questions tag! :)

Lorraine said...

Hope you recover quickly Lacey. As for your heroine - give her a slap! :-)