Monday, November 16, 2009

Stressed Off My Scone


Don’t you just love quirky sayings?

Stressed off my scone is one of my favorites. It’s completely random and brings to mind a very English woman incapable of taking on an itty bitty scone.

Children tend to pick up on the sayings of their parents without realizing it. I once repeated a phrase so commonly said in our family unit that I didn’t even know I’d said it and was completely put out when my friend started laughing hysterically.

I believe these little sayings make a character more human, more relatable, more real. A cardboard cut out wouldn’t be stressed off its scone.

I love a completely deranged character, the more flawed a hero and heroine the more I want to read. Give me a woman who’s accidentally tazered her boss or who’s marched down a highway in a beaver suit and you’ll have a hard time getting rid of me.


What do you do to make your characters more real to you?
Photobucket

10 comments:

gaelikaa said...

My mum used to always say 'are you out of your Chinese mind?' meaning 'are you mad?' After I came to realise she was speaking a corrupt version of 'are you out of your tiny mind' an English saying! Hahaha.....

Jackie Ashenden said...

Lacey, you must write one about a heroine in her beaver suit. You MUST! Okay? ;-)

Teresa Ashby said...

What a great saying, Lacey - I've never heard that one.
One of my favourites is someone getting out of their pram. I said that to my boss once and he looked at me as if I was mad and asked me to explain - it lost something in the process.
Now him I could have cheerfully tazered - on purpose!

Judy Jarvie said...

Love it Lacey. You're my kinda writer for sure.
Now where did I put my beaver suit?

Lacey Devlin said...

I love it Gaelikka! There's nothing like a corrupt version of another saying to make you smile :D

Sadly the beaver suit has been done but the good news is that the author has done a far better job than I ever could :) so I'll introduce y'all to another of my favorite authors next post :D You'll love her!

Tazering my boss... hmm a fantasy perhaps? Teresa's with me, anyone else? ;) A jail cell full of quirky writers could be a lot of fun..

Kate Hardy said...

Beaver suit???

LOL.

Best I can do on that front is that I once told off one of the middle school children for playing chicken in the middle of the road - except I forgot I was wearing bunny ears (I should add that I was collecting Easter goodies for the tombola at the first school). I guess at least they weren't light-up sparkly ones...

And I love that phrase "stressed off my scone" - I honestly had never heard that one before you introduced me to it :)

Lacey Devlin said...

LOL Kate!

If only I could have seen that! I think we need to get you bunny ears that are sparkly and light up for next time :D

Suzanne Jones said...

Love the scone expression - and I'm with everyone who wants to know more about the beaver suit...

XX

Sally Clements said...

We've got some brilliant ones over here, Lacey. My favourite has got to be:

She's like a bag of cats.
Used to describe someone cross. Or the expletive, holy hand!, short for (of course) holy hand of God. (used in a shocked voice when something awful happens. Hee Hee!

Lacey Devlin said...

Just wait until I introduce you to the beaver suit Suzanne, you're going to love this excerpt its one of my favorites!

I love them Sally! I think all good sayings should be worked into a book and shared with the world just for their giggle factor ;)