Monday, September 12, 2011

New Voices Blog Badges Are Here!

There’s only few days left until the launch of the 2011 Mills & Boon New Voices Competition and I’m thrilled to have my internet connection back just in time. 

Today, I’m unveiling the New Voices blog badges for 2011.  These badges can link your blog directly to your entry to help people find your chapter.   You can find them at the bottom of this post along with instructions on how save and insert them into your blog and what to do if they won't centre or fit in your sidebar.  If you have any trouble, please let me know in the comments because I'm happy to help.

From September 13th the New Voices Wall of Fame will be back and YOU can be on it.  The Wall is a great way celebrate hitting that submit button and you shouldn't underestimate that achievement.  Public forums are a scary business and it takes a lot of guts to enter, so i hope you've got a mini bottle of champagne on standby.

The Wall will help people find your entry and last year we formed a mini support group and there were a lot of helpful and encouraging comments left by members of The Wall at other members entries.  So, if you'd like to be on The Wall just leave a comment with your name and the name of your New Voices entry (so I can find it and link it).  Plus, this year you’ll also get a shout out on Twitter.

Speaking of Twitter, today is also the official launch of my Twitter account. I’m now an active Twit and you can find me @laceydevlin or click on my crazy new friend below to follow me.  You know you want to ;-)
I’m looking forward to reading your entries and I hope you enjoy the blog badges!
Photobucket

INSTRUCTIONS & TROUBLESHOOTING:

To save a blog badge:
1.Right click on the badge
2.Click‘Save Image As...’
3.Select the file where you want to save the image.
4.Click‘Save’.
To add a badge to blogspot (ORIGINAL interface):
1.Go to your New Voices entry and copy its address. You can paste this into a Word document for safe keeping if you wish.
2.Sign into your Blogspot account.
3.In Dashboard click the ‘Design’ link (toward top of page)
4.Select‘Add Gadget’
5.Select‘Picture’
6.The‘From Your Computer’ option should automatically be selected, if not, select it.
7.Click‘Browse’ and find the saved blog badge image.
8.Then click ‘Open’
9.Paste the address of your New Voices entry into the Link box.
10. Click ‘Save’ and you’re done!
To add a badge to blogspot (NEW interface):
1.Go to your New Voices entry and copy its address. You can paste this into a Word document for safe keeping if you wish.
2. Sign into your Blogspot account.
3. Select your blog and then the 'Layout' link on the sidebar
4. Select ‘Add Gadget’
5. Select ‘Picture’
6. The ‘From Your Computer’ option should automatically be selected, if not, select it.
7. Click ‘Browse’ and find the saved blog badge image.
8. Then click ‘Open’
9. Paste the address of your New Voices entry into the Link box.
10. Click ‘Save’ and you’re done!
Why won’t it centre in my sidebar? *wails*:
1.   The image has a width of 200 pixels to fit the average sidebar.  Yours may be larger or smaller.  If this is the case you need to adjust the size of the image in a graphics program.  This can be a program as basic as paint (which can be found on any Windows computer in the Accessories folder on the Start bar so no downloads are necessary to do this).
2.   First you need to know the width of your sidebar.  If you do go to step .
3.   To find the width of your sidebar sign into your blogspot.
4.   Click on ‘Template’.
5.   Click on the ‘Edit HTML’ beneath your current blog template.
6.   You will then get some scary message about only advance users being allowed to play with html but since you won’t be making any changes you don’t need to worry.  Click ‘Proceed’.
7.   You need to scroll down until you find the coding that reads (look for the red because the rest varies per template):
#sidebar-wrapper {
  width: 200px;
  padding-right: 10px;
  float: $startSide;
  word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */
  overflow: hidden;     /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */
  background-color:none;
8.   Make a note of the width.  In  the example it’s 200px.
9.   Now open Paint
10. Open your saved blog badge.
11. Click ‘Resize’ on the toolbar.
12. Where it says ‘by’ select “Pixels”
13. Where it says ‘Width’ type in the width of your sidebar.
14.   Save the image and you’re done!
15.   If you’re still having trouble and curse all electronics the world over, feel free to leave me the address of your blog and a way of contacting you in a comment (or email me directly) and I’ll send the modified image along.

21 comments:

Marcy said...

Can't wait to put this on my blog, but I'm not ready yet. Soon...not tomorrow soon, but soon...

Thanks for doing this, Lacey! You're the best!

scarlet wilson said...

Lacey - your blog badges are gorgeous, can't wait to see them all over the place!

Talli Roland said...

Oh yay for Twitter! I'm off to find you now.

Lacey Devlin said...

Marcy - I can't wait to read your entry, Marcy. I'll be keeping an eye out :-)

Scarlet - Aw shucks. I really like this year's lot :-). I can't wait for the comp to start.

Talli - Thanks, Talli! I'm still getting the hang of it. As long as I don't blow it up I think I'm doing well ;-)

Jackie Ashenden said...

Fantastic, Lacey! What a star you are!!
And welcome to Twitter!

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks, Jackie!

Romy said...

You are so clever Lacey. Those badges are gorgeous.

I'm also so impressed that you got your Twitter page to look just like your blog. I think I need to take lessons from you...

Aimee Carson said...

Okay, I'm totally jealous of your twitter bird. I want one like that! LOL. The badges are gorgeous too, Lacey!

So happy you're now on twitter! Am already following you!

Lacey Devlin said...

Romy - Thanks so much! I have a bit of tweaking to do on my Twitter page but for some reason it won't let me play anymore lol. I think you've done a fabulous job with all things Minx and no lessons are needed :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Aimee - LOL I love the Twitter bird too. I'll send him along to you.

Thanks so much for finding and following me on Twitter!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lacey, I'm a long-time lurker and would love a Twitter shout-out and a place on your wall. My name is Christy McKellen and my story is called The Darkest Side of the Heart - it's in Contemporary Romance.
Thanks!
Christy

Caroline said...

Hi Lacy. Love the NV tags. If you don't mind I'll let you know when my NV chapter is ready and it would be great if you can put it on your "wall". I am the world's worst at linking things tecci. You, on the other hand, make it all look so simple! Caroline x

Matthew MacNish said...

Hi Lacey. I'm here from Rachael's campaign blog, even though I didn't sign up in time to take part in it. Now I'm following your blog, so:

Nice to meet you!

Lacey Devlin said...

Christy - Hi! CONGRATULATIONS on The Darkest Side of the Heart. I hope you've got a bottle of champagne in the house to celebrate. Consider yourself added to The Wall! Lots of luck :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Caroline - Oh sometimes there is cursing. Computers have a mind of their own ;-) I'd love to have you on The Wall. I'm thrilled that you're entering!

Lacey Devlin said...

Hi Matthew! Thanks for the follow. I love Rachael's blog campaign and I'm sorry you this round's sign up. Fingers crossed for next time.

Catherine Coles said...

Active twit? Lacey, you crack me up!! Thanks for the badge you wonderfully talented lady xxx

Aimee Duffy said...

Managed at last! Thanks Lacy.

Lacey Devlin said...

Catherine - LOL! You're welcome! And now I know how to work a little of wordpress :-)

Aimee - Woot! Well done! Will come and check it out.

Suzanne Jones said...

Love those badges, Lacey. Wish I was entering so I could post one on my blog.

And also wish I was on twitter so I could follow you - but the blog and facebook are taking too much time, without adding another social dimension into my writing day :0(

XX

Lacey Devlin said...

Suzanne - Thanks so much :-) I know what you mean about social media taking up a chunk of time. I'm trying to manage mine better.