Thursday, January 27, 2011

What's Going On In The Writing World


I know a lot of people have received some Rs form the SYTYCW challenge over the last few days and I know that can be heartbreaking for a writer so I think a distraction is in order.

There’s actually quite a lot going on in our romance writing world at the moment and I wanted to share some links.

I’ve just signed up for Shirley Jump’s Revisions Can Be Fun course along with Minx Joanne Cleary. It’s only $30 for the four weeks of February and shows you “…how to really take your book from blah to BLOCKBUSTER". Minx Joanne Pibworth did it last year and says it’s fabulous so I’m really looking forward to it. The last day to register is January 31st. For more information click here.

If that’s not for you, the Nocturne Bites Editor Pitch Challenge is back for 2011! If you haven’t heard of Harlequin’s pitching competitions before, sales are often made as a result of them. In fact, two sales were made just recently from the Medical Editor Pitch Challenge. Full details of the competition are here but just in case you don’t also happen to read the comments. Moderator Rae-eHarlequin suggests holding off on immediately sending your entries because the entry guidelines will be slightly changed. Competition closes February 17th.

Last but not least, you could win a mentor for a month! Desire author extraordinaire, Tessa Radley, has kindly donated her time to the “Valentine’s Secrets”: Harlequin Mentor Challenge. All you have to do is “write a titled, 1K start to a Valentine’s-themed, secret-baby romance”. Competition closes February 12th and full details are here.

So, are you planning to enter a competition or two? Will you be joining Jo and I?

Photobucket

17 comments:

Julia Broadbooks said...

I think I might just try Tessa's contest out!

Lacey Devlin said...

Go for it Julia! Good luck!

Lacey Devlin said...

Sally - Thanks! (It appears your message has been eaten by blogger but I did get to read it :) )

Jackie Ashenden said...

Great post, Lacey! You're a star! Did you send something in to SYTYCW? Have you heard? I've heard nada...

scarlet wilson said...

Hi Lacey,
I did the Shirley Jump course with Joanne last year and absolutely recommend it. The good thing about it was Shirley made the course fun and gave loads of examples, you also get to see everyone's work before and after so you learn loads. Have fun!

Nas Dean said...

Thanks Lacey,

Everyone needs a pick me up at this point. Thanks for the links.

Elissa Graham said...

Shirley's course does sound very tempting but I think I'm going to be really boring and just keep plodding along with the WIP. I'll have to promise to do something outrageous to make up for my ho humness, won't I?

Lacey Devlin said...

Jackie - Thanks! I didn't enter SYTYCW :( I'm trying to stick to my no more competitions rule. I think no news is good news! How does it work? Is there a winner or was it all about getting requests?

Lacey Devlin said...

Scarlet - Ooo you did huh? I don't suppose there's a trend that you do the course and get yourself published? The answer I'm looking for is yes ;)

Lacey Devlin said...

Nas - You're welcome. I hope you find them useful :)

Elissa - I could be biting off more than I can chew here. But I've hit a wall with the MS and I'm hoping that it really can take it from blah to somewhere... well, better ;)

Abbi/Barbara said...

Lacey,

I will be in Shirley Jump's class too! Another Sassy Sister will be there as well. Sounds like we're going to have some fun.

I didn't do SYTYCW either. It was hard not to enter, but I can't do every competition out there.

I am going to enter Tessa's Valentines comp, though. Putting my work out there again, Eek!


Abbi :-)

Suzanne Jones said...

You're right, there's a lot going on. The course sounds great - can't wait to hear how you get on.

XX

Lacey Devlin said...

Abbi - I'll see you there then! I have to admit I really struggled with not entering SYTYCW too :) Lots of luck with Tessa's comp! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Suzanne - It does sound good doesn't it? I'm really looking forward to it.

joanne pibworth said...

you'll love the course Lacey, I know I did.
Just the ticket for helping your ms to sparkle! x

Joanne Coles said...

Lovely Lacey, how are you? Am worried after the cyclone hit your area of Australia. Hope you, your family and furbabies are ok xxx

PS I can't copy your homework until you get to Shirley's class!!

Lacey Devlin said...

Jo P - Thanks so much! You can never have too much sparkle :)

Lacey Devlin said...

Jo C - I've just got my electricity back so I've finally been able to join the class! Just in time for homework :S

My little town was one of the lucky ones but it’s devastating to watch the news and know that others haven't been so lucky. There are towns where most roofs have been torn off and because it was such a huge system there's a lot of rain. Other homes have been completely demolished. It's really heartbreaking, especially after the floods.