Wednesday, October 21, 2009

NBI & NaNoWriMo

I think we’ve all had a point during out writing when the NBI (next big idea) pops into our head and we want to abandon ship for a newer, sexier model. While I’m proud to say that the discipline beaten into me as a child won’t allow me to do that (I make up for this remarkable trait with many, MANY bad habits) Janet Evanovich has a solution that just tickled me:

"Q: I’m all over the place. I start a book, but then I get ideas for another and yet another; and then I begin those with the intent of coming back and finishing the first ones, which of course never happens. Do you have words of wisdom for a dreamer like me?

JANET EVANOVICH: How about this – you start a book and every time you veer off in another direction, you imagine me standing behind you giving you a good hard smack on the head. "


Yes, Janet slapping me upside the head would just about do it I think.


“Don’t fall into the trap of rewriting chapter one until it’s perfect. And don’t discard everything you write halfway through because you’re sure it sucks. Writing stuff that sucks is part of the learning process!”
-- Janet Evanovich


From what I can gather from our best selling authors if your rough draft doesn’t suck, you’re not doing it right!
 
Celebrate the horror of poorly constructed sentences, unnecessary scenes and character names that all sound the same with a glass of champagne (or maybe a few if you think you’re really going to need your senses dulled for the first read through) because you’re on your way to being the next Nora Roberts!
 
To do or not to do NanoWriMo? I signed up for a course in November and now I’m wondering whether I should have signed myself into a mental hospital instead because I’m considering doing NaNo as well.
 
Does anyone want to volunteer to scrape me off the floor when I collapse?
 
Show of hands, who else is considering NaNoWriMo?
Photobucket

10 comments:

Diane said...

I am, and I think it would be more fun the more people I know who are doing it. If you do go for it, and if I do, that will give me a grand total of 3, including me. :o)

Rachael Johns said...

Fab advice from Janet! Thanks for sharing Lacey and good luck if you decide to tackle NaNoWriMo!

Suzanne Jones said...

I'm also considering signing up for NaNoWriMo, Lacey.

(We could cheer each other on.)

XX

Lacey Devlin said...

That's the way girls! Let's NaNoWriMo it up, we only have our sanity to lose!

Aideen said...

I took part in NaNoWriMo last year Lacey and as a self confessed panster I can honestly say it was great fun. I wrote and wrote, never once re-reading a single word. And you know what? It wasn't half bad, some of the writing actually made me proud. It's the freedom, the absolute pleasure of writing without over analysing is what makes NaNo such a success. I'd highly recommend it and you'll have plenty of volunteers to scrape you up should you decide to become one with the ground!

Janet rocks. I read Metro Girl and Motor Mouth over and over, Barney is one of my all time favourite characters. And in her interviews Janet just continues to crack me up. Nothing impresses me more than someone's ability to make me laugh.

All the best in November,
Aideen.

Lorraine said...

I can't unfortunately but it does mean I'm available for floor scraping duties :-)
Good luck!

Sally Clements said...

I'm in for it too Lacey, and looking forward to it. On a positive note if you manage to 'win' by doing 50,000 words, you can have a free copy of your book created by createspace (and 6 months to edit it into perfection before submitting) Interesting eh? see nano site for more details! I'm blogging about nano too, put up post today.

Jackie Ashenden said...

Considering it. Damn RSI tho!

Lacey Devlin said...

Go on Jackie, give in, you know you want to!

I love Janet's wicked sense of humor too Aideen!

I have you down as the official floor scraper Lorraine!

I actually forgot all about the createspace book even though I did "win" last year, Sally. I must have gotten carried away with my "trophy" images lol!

Janette Radevski said...

Gonna be away for part of Nov so prob not smart to try... good luck to all those brave to!