Monday, July 13, 2009

Survival of the Fittest


I don’t like watering plants. Actually I don’t like watering period. To me it’s so boring it’s painful which makes it very difficult when the family requests you water their plants while they’re away. I live by the survival of the fittest theory and they don’t (although sometimes I get all mushy and take pity on the plants). Their beautiful gardens can’t take the elements the way mine can. I have a hearty garden. I have a garden with character. I have a garden that could survive a nuclear explosion.

My plants don’t actually die (which is good because I’d find that upsetting) so I guess that there’s something in me that nurtures (that’s comforting!) but in the last year I’ve watered them once (and we don’t get a lot of rain…). So either they’re miracle plants, I’m just lucky, or the plants hate being watered as much as I hate doing it…

Anyway! Today I posted off S,K&BW so Silhouette editors beware! It’s such a shame that the men and women manning our post offices don’t find the process as exciting as I do. I’m pretty sure the woman who was serving me drifted off to sleep at one stage… There will be no sleeping!

On an intriguing note I may have lied before (I can’t decide). I did say that I wasn’t entering the I Heart Presents contest but noooowww… Well it doesn’t close until November and I get a bit of a rush from the whole process (yes adrenaline junky and lover of sleep deprivation right here!) So to enter or not to enter that is the question…

No point entering if they’re going to have to lock me up somewhere mid October because I keep repeating “tutty fruity” and dribbling.

Is anyone else considering the comp and wondering if they’re about to bite of more than they can chew?
Photobucket

8 comments:

Jackie Ashenden said...

Good luck, Lacey! Is this for Desire?
Yep, enter the Presents comp. You've got nothing to lose except your nails... ;-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks Jackie! :) It is for Desire but this time I sent a partial because the line accepts them now so I'm expecting a bit of a wait. Lol I have nothing to lose except my nails :)

Felicity Roger said...

I agree with Jackie. Enter away and we can all sing 'tuity fruity' together. And there is nothing like a contest deadline to make ones fingers start typing in earnest.

Good luck.

Aideen said...

Hey Lacey,

Found you here through Jackie and I'm glad I did. I like a woman who can't make up her mind, reminds me of someone I know very well! I'm in the very same boat regarding the new competition. I was lucky enough to get some positive feedback from the FTH comp and they did suggest I submit the rest of the story for their assessment. Yeah, I still have to do that and it's been like...7 months!! Ridiculous, I know and it's not the fear of rejection that holds me back, I don't actually know why I'm so nervous about hitting the send button. So really, is there any point in me entering when I still haven't subbed the story I got feedback on? Some days I think yeah, I'll enter then I change my mind just as quick. Oh God, I need help of some sort, that's for sure.
Anyway, all the best with your new submission and I'll be hoping for the best here in Ireland.

Aideen.

gaelikaa said...

I enjoyed what you wrote about your garden. You're seriously right, though! The fuss free approach is always better!

Lorraine said...

Yes, I'm entering and will be feeling sick for months as a result. Perhaps they could lock us all up together so we don't drive our nearest and dearest to distraction ;-)

Good luck on the sub.

Lacey Devlin said...

I'm having visions of us all locked in a room singing tuity fruity instead of kum by ya around a manuscript lol! This insanity I credit to Felicity and Lorraine :)

I'm so thrilled you're all entering too! I'll probably still be trying to decide in November as coward is thy name ;). There's something about hitting that send button that induces hyperventilation and an arrhythmia, but hey I like to live on the edge ;)

Thanks Gaelikaa I can't help but be strangely proud of my dried out garden ;)

Hi Aideen! I’m so thrilled you found me I don’t know how it is that I haven’t managed to come across you in my wanderings! Congrats on the positive feedback from the FTH competition :) I wouldn’t feel too terrible about the time lapse I’ve come across similar stories and the editors don’t write your name in a secret black book :) If you want my opinion, I think you should do all three: enter the comp, submit the rest of your FTH story and not get any sleep lol I’ll pop by your blog and harass you like the repetitive parrot from hell if you like :). It’s always fun to have someone to hyperventilate with you as you hit that send button!

Suzanne said...

You should definiely enter, Lacey. I'm planning to (despite the fact I've yet to finish my NWS ms). Jackie's right, we have nothing to lose.
:-)