Saturday, July 18, 2009

Are You Conferencing?


I can’t feel my toe.

Unfortunately I’m not kidding and this is not an uncommon occurrence. I was a little accident prone growing up and I’ve broken two toes but one twice and every time it gets cold (and by the way I live in the tropics so what I think is cold would be hilarious to most) that toe goes completely numb in the same way your foot does when it’s gone to sleep before the pins and needles come – my point is it’s not pleasant and I’m thinking of having it removed ;)

The lovely Trish Wylie has taken pity on all of us not conferencing our little hinnies off and is conducting a “Not At Nationals” virtual mini-workshop on her blog which I’m loving and I think you all will too, so get over there soldiers ;) Part one HERE.

I’m having trouble focusing my writing at the moment I’m a little all over the shop which I hate and basically results in zero productivity. I’m torn between a couple of stories and I can’t quite settle on two and life keeps getting in the way (I know, excuses, excuses… right?) I really need to spend some time in a Focus Machine (anyone got one?).

Since I have nothing helpful to contribute to the writing community I leave you with this:

 
"Every time I hear writers talk about 'the muse,' I just want to bitch-slap them. It's a job. Do your job."
-- Nora Roberts --


You tell them Nora :)
Photobucket

9 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

Nope - unfortunately not even doing the Aussie conf this year! VERY :(

MelRox said...

Oh so sorry to hear about your toe... seek a doctors advice if you're not already!!

Jackie Ashenden said...

Trish writes some good stuff doesn't she? There's also some more of the good stuff on her message board.

Ah focus, yes, I remember it. Think I lost it again though. If you find a machine, let me know cause I'll buy one too. :-)

Janette Radevski said...

Oh I LOVE that Nora Roberts quote.

I too am having trouble focusing. I keep thinking of how long it's been since my last sub and get all panicky this this sub is at least another month off being sent. When you find that focus machine, send it my way. I would give it a great work out.

PS - not conferencing either.... sigh.....

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks for the tip Jackie :) I'm thinking of building a large Focus Machine that all us nonconferencing unfocused people can sit in together (almost like a padded room...)

Suzanne said...

Not conferencing either, so thanks for this link.

Hope the toe's okay. Sounds nasty.

Great quote, by the way. I love the expression 'bitch-slap', it makes my palms itch...

Aideen said...

Hi Lacey,

Gotta love Nora, the woman has super powers I reckon. But what really caught my attention in this post was your comment about excuses. People (not sure who) always say that if it's your heart's desire to write then you'll find the time. Okay, I'll go with that because it's nothing if not reasonable. For a time. But what happens when you really, quite genuinely cannot find the time unless you want to stay up from midnight until dawn, then proceed to sleepwalk through the day while trying to be a mother to four 'larger than life' boys? I mean, honestly, I love writing but some days I simply don't have the time. There are days when I'm lucky to write 100 words. Crap words but words all the same. So I don't feel we're making excuses, I'm legit when I say that I want nothing more than to write but I've got to choose sleeping and living over writing on the odd occasion.
Sorry for any unseen typos, it's Monday and that's my excuse for error!

Aideen.

Lacey Devlin said...

Ahh Aideen I've heard that saying too! They make it sound so simple, don't they? But let's face it, in most cases us writer's are sleep deprived. We forget to brush our hair, our lipstick's on crooked and half the time we're wearing odd socks because it's still dark when we stagger up to write :)

I always enjoy reading you lol so I doubt your words are anything but wonderful! It's true, sometimes you just have to sleep :)

P.S. I've lost you in blogland and can't find your blog. Do you have one or are you sneaky?

gaelikaa said...

Hope you'll be feeling better soon - might need some rest or light relief I guess....