Friday, June 11, 2010

I Did a Bad Bad Thing


That blog title could cover a whole spectrum of bad behavior but I’m talking about a broken promise.

To myself.

So it’s not that bad, really…when you think about it…right?


Confession: I started another WIP.

I promised myself I wouldn’t do that. I have a bit of a load on for 2010 so I said, “Focus on one at a time this year, Lacey, get that one out there in the world and then start on the next”.

Bu-ut, I just couldn’t help myself could I?

And yes I do talk to myself.

So, instead of providing you with an actually helpful writing post (on the joys of spreadsheet plotting—no don’t flinch, it’s fun, really) I have to confess that not only am I not working on the MS I should be (because let’s face it, it’s a bit of a mess, poor baby) I’m not doing anything else I should be doing either.

Like cleaning, studying, feeding the things that breathe…

Bad, bad girl.


I am enjoying myself though…

P.S. I think I’ve managed to kill two bushes in the garden, no small feat since they have spikes and I’m pretty sure they tried to kill me when I was cutting them back. Also, was informed by the physiotherapist that my brain has “neglected” my foot, which basically means that it’s not recognizing that it’s there. Let me tell you, it took some convincing that I wasn’t in control of my own foot anymore. Ah well, who doesn’t enjoy a rare surgery complication? ;)
Photobucket

16 comments:

Jackie Ashenden said...

I'm intrigued about this spreadsheet plotting business. You'll have to post more on that!
Yay for new story love though. I've got five on the go so don't feel bad. :-) As to your foot, at least it wasn't alien hand syndrome!

Angie Peters said...

Spreadsheet plotting? Ugghhh...Wish I could be a plotter though - I envy you.

Is the 'old' WIP your MOC, Lacey? If so, I'm about ready to put mine aside too even though I told myself that I *must* finish. Shiny new idea beckons...

Sounds like a nasty surgery complication. Is there any treatment?

Rachael Johns said...

Ooh yeah... I'm with Jackie. Definitely post on spreadsheet plotting. And good luck with your new story. Don't feel too down, I mean isn't writing about having fun first and foremost!?

Sally Clements said...

Lacey, you gotta do what you gotta do. And if theres a story in there screaming to get out, I say go with it! Hope that foot rejoins you soon...

Lacey Devlin said...

Jackie - So, so true about the alien hand syndrome. I think the next blog will be on spreadsheet plotting. At most it will be the one after that.

Lacey Devlin said...

Angie - I'm not really a plotter. I'm some sort of hybrid half plotter, half pantser. If I plot in too much detail I can't write a thing because I lose interest, so I'm trying to find a happy balance.

It actually is my MOC, except I took Maisey's advice and got rid of the MOC because I couldn't make it work. I'm an MOC coward lol.

The treatment for my spare foot ;) is interesting, actually and can involve mirrors to trick my brain into recognising it but I've made progress just focusing all my attention on it while I walk. The only problem is that as soon as I stop thinking about it it goes back to doing its own thing :P.

Lacey Devlin said...

Rach and Sally - Thanks! Will definitely post about the plotting. I don't feel too down, more like I'm cheating on my first MS because any time I spend on the new one is taken from the time allotted for it and Mr. Personal Deadline isn't going to like it. But I won't tell if you don't ;)

Caroline said...

Spreadsheet plotting shouldn't sound interesting....but somehow it does! Do tell! And good luck on the new wip! Yay! Caroline x

Aideen said...

Got to say first off, the spreadsheet plotting business sounds like an illness to me! And one I have no desire to share I might add. The word plotting makes my head go fuzzy and I always need a lie down after the slightest attempt at it. As for starting a new story, let go let flow. I don't think it should be considered abandonemnt of a current wip if you dip into someting new every now and then. It might even help you along, sparking ideas for the ms that causes you the most grief. You'll know what's best for your writing when push comes to shove.

Jackie has 5 on the go? She is such a romance writing slapper...

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks Caroline!

Aideen - I thought the pantsers out there might shut down at the thought of spreadsheet plotting. It's got its good points though, promise ;). Jackie is amazing isn't she? I always enjoy hearing how many manuscripts she's got on the go, I don't know that five is her record though... Will have to ask.

Suzanne Jones said...

I actually quite like spreadsheets (I know, what a saddo) so I'm really looking forward to your spreadsheet plotting.

Hope the foot problem's been sorted. And sending positive vibes for the new story.

XX

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks for the good vibes Suzanne! It's definitely not a bad thing to like spreadsheets. I'm allergic to them if they have numbers but that applies to pretty much anything.

MelRoXx said...

Spreadsheet plotting? Haven't heard of that before!

MelRoXx said...

btw, I have an award for you over at mine

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks Mel!

gaelikaa said...

Sometimes you just can't help it!