Saturday, August 15, 2009

To Write or Not To Write...





"Every single book is a challenge"
--Nora Roberts--

Thank you Nora.

Does everyone feel a little better now? Not so suicidal?

The writing is not going so well and I can honestly say that it’s got nothing to do with the story and everything to do with how stressed I am with the rest of my life. I’m pretty sure that has shut my creative side down and while I have the luxury of working only to suit myself my own deadlines are looming I get crabby when it looks like I won’t meet them. But I haven’t failed yet so we’ll see how I go after I’ve finished having a whine.

Now I’ve been on YouTube, not doing my work – naughty Lacey – and I wanted to share an interview with the lovely Nora because the woman’s got a sense of humor and a half and it’s not like you all have a trillion other things to do ;)



Photobucket

11 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

Lacey I can really relate to this. My writing hasn't been going that well lately and I think it's cos I've got so much mum-stuff going on and am so tired all the time.

Hugs!!

Teresa Ashby said...

Thanks for posting that interview, Lacey. I hate to admit this, but I've never read any of Nora's books - I think I'm going to have to do something about that!

Hope the writing is going well now!

Aideen said...

Ok, it's official; I want to be Nora Roberts when I grow up. For real. That woman is just so normal, so wise and not to mention funny. But I'm not so sure about nuns and discipline. I was educated for 12 years by the Sister's Of Mercy and I don't know that they ever instilled discipline to that extreme within us. Maybe they had begun losing their touch by the time they got to me in the 80's, but I'm glad they terrified Nora!!!

Aideen.

Lacey Devlin said...

Hugs right back to you too Rach!

*Gasp* Teresa ;) Actually you're not alone there but I shall convert you! I shall convert you all!!

Aideen I think you're halfway there to being Nora! There's no nuns in my past just regular teachers *sigh* guess I'd better take up tennis or get a degree...

Jackie Ashenden said...

I've never read any of Nora's books either! Eeek!

Lorraine said...

I think mood has a huge influence on writing, it certainly affects my creativity which is why I tend to story plan or edit instead if I'm low or stressed. I hope things pick up soon.

But as to your question my answer is 'to write'! Definitely nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of the rejection letters and the inner critic and just keep writing...

Suzanne Jones said...

I adore Nora Roberts. Thanks for posting the interview.

X

Lacey Devlin said...

Eek right back at you Jackie lol! That's okay I think the writing gods will forgive you ;)

Thanks Lorraine! I like to think I'll take the noble path (dunno what we'd call the other one :S)

Always a pleasure Suzanne :)

gaelikaa said...

Awarded you over at mine!

http://gaelikaasdiary.blogspot.com

Joanne Cleary said...

That woman is soooo cool. I love the way she says if things aren't going so well it's like carving granite with a toothpick. We've all been there, I'm sure. How comforting to know Nora has too.

Hope things picking up for you lacey :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

Thanks Gaelikka!

I was pretty thrilled to find Nora has to get her toothpick out sometimes too Joanne :)